Friday, December 20, 2013
Robert Monroe’s 1971 book, Journeys Out of the Body describes a rather long and complicated technique for inducing OBEs. The following is a simplified summary of Monroe’s method:
1. Lie down in a darkened room in a comfortable position, but with your head pointing towards magnetic north. Make sure you will not be disturbed.
2. Loosen your clothing and remove all jewelry and metal objects, but make sure you keep warm.
3. Begin by entering into a relaxing state of both mind and body. Then consciously tell yourself that you will perceive and recall everything that occurs during the upcoming process which will be of benefit to your being.
4. Begin breathing through your half-open mouth.
5. Enter the state bordering sleep, known as the “hypnogogic state”, by concentrating solely on one particular object. When other thoughts start intruding and you lose focus, you have entered the hypnogogic state.
6. When these other images start to enter your mind, watch them passively, this will also help you maintain this state of near-sleep.
7. Begin to clear your mind and observe your field of vision through your closed eyelids. Do nothing more for a while – simply look through your closed eyelids at the darkness in front of you.
8. After a while you may observe light patterns, take no notice, they are only neural discharges which are of no significance.
9. When these cease, you enter a deeper state of relaxation where you lose all awareness of the body and sensory stimulation. You are almost in a void where your only source of stimulation will be your own thoughts.
10. With eyes closed, look out into the blackness at a spot about a foot from your forehead. Concentrate on this spot, and then move your consciousness to a point three feet away, then six, then turn it 90 degrees upwards, reaching above your head.
11. Mentally draw down the “vibrations” from this point above you into your body. You are now entering the vibrational state, sometimes indicated by a tingling feeling, as if electricity is rushing through your body.
12. Learn to control the vibrational state by concentrating on the waves of vibrations and mentally pushing them from your head down through your entire body to your toes. Practice this process until you can perform it on command.
13. Now you have control of the vibrational state you are ready to experiment with leaving your body. The most straightforward technique recommended by Monroe is the “lift-out”. To employ this method imagine yourself getting lighter and of how pleasant it would be to float upwards.
14. Be sure to keep control of your thought and don’t allow any extraneous material to enter your mind and interrupt them. You will soon find yourself floating upwards above your body – your first OBE.
15. With enough practice of this method, Monroe claims that a whole other world of experiences will open up to you.
Adventures Beyond the Body: How to Experience Out-of-Body Travel
The Journey of Robert Monroe: From Out-of-Body Explorer to Consciousness Pioneer